Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Pre-Ironman Taper Madness!!

Taper Madness is a serious condition and may result in one of more of the following: previously unexpressed aches and pains that convince you that you're falling apart, spending money you don't have on items that might save 5 minutes of time over the course of a 12-15+ hour event, snapping at friends and loved ones when they ask "So, are you ready?" (or pretty much any question involving your upcoming event... ok, any question at all... actually, all they have to do is look at you sideways), gaining five pounds (ok that probably happened before the taper), momentary lapses in ability to know what day it is, what time it is, or what your name is. Please do NOT consult a physician. Complete some light exercise, take a few deep breathes, and embrace the madness as part of the journey.

Now for my own "Tip of the Hat. Wag of the Finger", shamelesssly stolen from The Colbert Report.

First, tip of the hat! I'd like to thank a few people that have helped to keep some of the more extreme madness at bay....


A shout out to Modus Sport Group & Profile Design for hookin' me up with the latest & greatest aero bottle & seat post bottle cages. The last issue of Triathlete Mag had a blurb on this bottle which is said to actually INCREASE the aerodynamics of your ride. Sweeeeet.














Thanks to my boss-man at Cycle U, the one & only Coach Craig Undem for getting Specialized to loan me this pimp front wheel.

We encountered a problem with the rear wheel, and another supahstar came to my rescue... Coach Lang Reynolds, my Cycle U cohort & Triumph Multisport mechanic, loaned me a very nice rear wheel from his "private collection". Thanks again Lang!!

Speaking of Triumph... I cannot speak highly enough about this establishment. The entire staff are experienced professionals, very good at dealing with those afflicted by Taper MADness. I found everything I need for this race, as well as outstanding advice and a lot of patience. Shop @ Triumph Multisport!!!!! :)

Now, a few people have been asking me what I plan to wear. I prefer the 2-piece tri-suit because I look slightly less sausage-like (did I mention the extra 5 lbs? I think I did). I tried on a few items today, and have narrowed it down to 2 options:

Option 1: Louis Garneau bottoms, purchased from Triumph Multisport & a Sugoi top purchased off the clearance rack at Everyday Athlete. I like these bottoms because they have a wide waistband that does NOT dig in at all. The material also has a little more friction, which means my fuel belt won't be sliding off my butt. Always a bonus. The cap is 2XU that I just picked up from the new shipment at Triumph. I'm thinking the cap over the visor due to sun protection, but I can always switch to the visor after the sun goes down.


Option 2: 2XU tri shorts, which I wore all last year and loved. Only downfall is the material is very slick, so the fuel belt has to be worn on my waist vs. my hips. Found that out at the Lk Stevens 70.3 last July. Very annoying. The top is from Profile Design. It's a sample from last year's line that I picked up at the bike swap. It's very comfortable, but a bit tighter than the other top. Also a bit less coverage, so less sun protection. The visor you can't really see is 2XU. The hair... getting cut tomorrow. Definitely needs to be more aero! ha! (and Yes, the pose is a joke... also a good way to suck in the gut!!)...


I'll also be wearing these slick Shimano tri shoes purchased from Triumph Multisport. My old Sidis were too narrow and putting my feet to sleep, so they hit ebay, and I got these beauties!

And finally, these sexy pink Brooks' Adrenalines from Everyday Athlete. This has been my shoe of choice since my marathon training back in 2005. Let's face it, this shoe is A LOT of people's shoe of choice. Brooks knows how it's done. As for the pink.... I'll just have to deal.

Now time for Wag of the Finger....

State of Texas, YOU are ON NOTICE! For taking advantage of "foreigners" and charging an $80 addt'l fee for not appearing at a court date for a speeding ticket, even though I CALLED IN AND TOLD YOU I LIVE IN SEATTLE!, "I'm sorry, we don't notate phone calls". Bite me.

And Uncle Sam. It's true, you can't pick your relatives. For taking my happy high to a sad low upon completion of my taxes. You want ALL my starbucks tri club training earnings? REALLY?!?! Oh yes, because I'm so rich. Guess I'm back to huntin' Zebras for food next week. Uncle Sam is ON NOTICE!

Ok, that's all for now. Welcome to my madness. T-2.5 days to departure.