Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ironman South Africa - Race Report

Ok, I know you've all been waiting for this. I haven't pre-written it at all, so will just let it roll off as it comes to mind. Hopefully without turning it into an epic trilogy....

It's tough to decide where to start, as the entire trip has had a very surreal feeling to it. Maybe because I've been sick for the entire trip? Or maybe because even though I'm sitting in South Africa right now, I still can't believe that I am sitting in South Africa right now. There is a big element of adventure and excitement in traveling to such a far-off destination, even without the undertaking of an Ironman-distance triathlon... but there has also been a big dose of reality of what life in South Africa is like. As Americans, we take a lot for granted... well, I for one have a new-found appreciation for life back home, and am anxious to get back to it! But I digress... this post was supposed to be about IRONMAN.

The weather gods were smiling upon us on the morning of April 13th on the shores of Nelson Mandela Bay, Port Elizabeth, South Africa. The bay was as close to glass-like as I imagine it has even been. The sky overcast, just as a typical Seattle day. The forecast called for very low winds. It was going to be a good day.

Six members of Seattle's Jet City Tri Club lined up at the swim start. Myself, Raelle, Bryan, Bobbie, Stacy, & David; 4 newbies, and 2 Iron-veterans. The gun went off (or was it a horn? I don't even remember), and we jogged down the beach to the ocean. I remember thinking to myself, "stay calm. It's gonna be a long day. You can do this. Just stay calm." The athletes spread out pretty good, so I didn't get kicked or have my googles pulled off, as I'd heard is prone to happen. At the first bouy there was so much congestion as the group converged that we all had to stand there treading water for what felt like 5 minutes before we had room to swim again. This happened at most of the corners. I continued to swim, leaving my trail of phlegm behind (sorry!), and stayed calm and collected. I kept bringing my attention back to my form and my breath. Everything was going well. I was concerned about how sick I was feeling, as my lungs were full of congestion, but I felt that if I could get thru the swim, I would become an Ironman that day.

Lap one completed, I decided to walk the beach between laps. Just then Raelle came up and grabbed me from behind. She was so excited, and it was contagious, so I started to jog. The second lap went just as well, with just one good kick to the head, but goggled remained in place, and I finished feeling strong.

Swim time: 1:28:17
29th out of 52 in age-group

T1 went smoothly.... I took my time to make sure I wasn't forgetting anything, and walked to the bike. It was not a short walk.
T1 time: 6 mins

Bike. There were issues on the bike. First, apparently someone knocked my bike over in transition because as I got out on the road, I noticed the aerobars and the front wheel did not line up together. So I had to stop to adjust the stem. Then it was good for a while. As you know, I pre-rode the IMSA CompuTrainer course and knew we started out with a long climb. It actually wasn't anywhere near as difficult in real life as that computrainer profile was! My focus was to stay at aerobic threshold, which in hindsight was going too easy. I figured if I went a little too easy on the bike, then I'd have more for the run. Ha.

The roads are horrid, and while I did not flat or loose a single bottle, the vibration caused my rear bottle cage holder to loosen so that the bottles were pointing down at the road (but still attached!). So, another stop to fix that. It was at that point, about two-thirds of the way through the first loop that I looked down at my foot and saw all this blood. Yes, my snazzy new bike shoes were chewing a hole in my foot. Oh well, no time to cry now! Another 70+ miles of riding to do! Onward!

I felt good on the bike, but like I said, held back a bit on the effort. I didn't want to eat while climbing, and when descending I was too interested in making up time to slow down and get food out of my bento box. About 30mins from the end, my stomach was growling. Not good. Where was my brain?? I downed a baggie of gummy bears, and settled in for the final push. The only other issues were saddle and shoulder related. 7 hours is a long time to spend in aero position, and my body was ready to get off that bike!

Bike time: 6:59:19
30th out of 52 in age-group

T2 took a bit longer. I had that bloody toe to deal with. I went to the medical tent for a band-aid, and it took me 5 minutes to get the volunteers there to stop talking to each other and please get me a band-aid. I had decided to wear my toe socks, which at first I thought was going to be the end of me since I didn't think they would fit over the huge bandage they had applied, but after-the-fact I think those socks are the only reason the bandage stayed on, and I was able to do the marathon without a lot of bother from it. Yay toe socks!

T2 time: 11 minutes

The run. I just had nothing. My heartrate was fine. My lungs seemed fine. My legs weren't burning or fatigued. I just had nothing. I don't know how else to explain it. I think it was a combination of mental and nutritional. I ended up having to eat solid food during the marathon, which meant a lot of walking. Then, I knew it was going to take me at least 6 hours.

It was a very long night. And the sun came out with a vengence. The blisters covering my back and shoulders will attest to that. The crowd was great, and I did more jogging on the 2nd of the 3 loops, hoping I could at least break the 15-hour mark, but either way knowing I was going to finish! And given the conditions, that was good enough.

As night fell, I kept on truckin'. I made friends with a group of 3 German guys, and they kept me feeling safe as we race-walked through "the most dangerous road in Port Elizabeth". Yes, no security in sight, and we are exhausted, walking along a dark road known for car-jackings and muggings. Color me ecstatic. By this time I was also freezing as the temperatures dropped, and my damaged skin couldn't provide much protection from the elements. Toward the end, our little group broke up, but I owe a lot to these three guys for keeping me safe, and motivated (I love me them Germans!).

The last 3 kilometers seemed to go on for an eternity. But as trashed as I felt, I still saw people heading out for their final loop, and I couldn't help but feel lucky that my finish line was almost in sight. I almost cried when I saw the finish shoot, but I knew you all would be watching, so I sucked it up, and jogged... then ran... then sprinted... and it felt GREAT!... why hadn't I done that sooner???.... I'm an IRONMAN!!!.... but wait, there's no finishline tape.... where do I pose for my big finishline shot??... too late. oh well. Where's the medical tent?

Run (walk) Time: 6:25:42
38th out of 52 in age-group

Final finish time: 15:10:31

All 6 members of Jet City Tri finished! Mission Accomplished. Congratulations to all!!!

Can I come home now??? PLEASE?!?!?!