Monday, July 9, 2007

Electric cars...an unheard danger?

This is actually kinda funny, kinda weird. I was talking "shop" with someone at one of our clinics this weekend and was talking about road safety and how I had developed a fine sense (primarily hearing) that alerts me to any possible approaching vehicles when I ride. She mentioned something about electric cars and I started to think how silent they area...and when I rode in one it really was...that is what I loved about it (besides the obvious) could this be a new danger for cyclists? I advocate always looking first before changing directions, but I wonder how quite a full electric car is as it goes by? I haven't really noticed...the tires make noise, but will it be enough to keep us safe? Will this sell more mirrors as we go to alternative fuels???

Coach Craig