Tuesday, July 22, 2008

RAOd Warriors - First Place Overall in Race Across Oregon!

David Longdon reporting....

Hey Cycle U Coaches:

Yeah!

My team finished first overall and first in our category this weekend! The team name is the RAOd Warriors (RAO is the acronym for Race Across Oregon). Read the play-by-play commentary HERE. View pictures HERE. Our team is (mostly) wearing a red jersey with a nuclear explosion and "nuke 'em" on the side. Pictures of us start on page 3 of the flickr site.

We were well-matched with a team called Three Rivers Racing and it was neck and neck until 4AM Sunday, where we had a ~23 minute lead for a while. I think we won by about 15 minutes--pretty close for a 535 mile race. We got a 5 minute time penalty because one of our racers ran a stop sign.

Probably the most fun I've ever had on 2 wheels.

Ed, thanks for all the help with the bike fit. I rode the Scott with the aero bars and had no cramping or other body issues. After the race the 2nd place team speculated that since my teammates were all using aero bars, that may have been enough for the winning margin.

Adrian, the interval training program worked great. We mostly did 30 minute rotations, though at the end the other team was gaining on us so we went to 10-15 minute rotations. My legs felt strong and I had plenty of power to go hard on nearly all of my rotations.

Tammy, I think you need to convince the HPC guys to do something like this.

D
--
David M. Longdon
Velocity: The Seattle Area Cycling Blog


__o
_ `\<._
(*) /(*)