It wasn't until the last few months that I have realized that it doesn't matter how good you eat, or how healthy you are...you can still be depressed, suck, procrastonate, not take action towards your goals and just be mediocre.
Why? Because you aren't using the biggest muscle in your body...the one between your ears, and if that one isn't working right, nothing else matters. Who hasn't heard of the Millionaire who wasn't happy or the perfectly tuned athlete that was depressed and took drugs to win? What really gives you energy (lasting longer than a double shot) is what you think about. Good nutritional fuel and a healthy body make it much easier to get in an energetic mood, but they are not enough.
I have helped a few people lose alot of weight over the last winter by focusing more on getting their energy and thinking in the right place than on what kind of workouts they did. Most of us know what to do, it is how we think about it that differentiates those who make progress from those who stay stuck.
Your thoughts are even more powerful than you realize, here are some clues:
- Think about the last time you had a deadline or race and knew you had to perform...you get very energetic right before deadlines, so you can see it is possible to increase your energy by what you think! Do you think success is related to what you are thinking?
- When you have a vacation coming up or a favorite person you are going to see you know is going to give you great feelings of love and connection...you get happy in expectation of these types of events. What are you thinking about that gives you this energy?
- When you have great things happen to you, you tend to feel better because you are thinking of all the great stuff you get to have and do. Good energy creates more good energy...momentum!
Here are some short cuts we use in our coaching to get you more energy.
- Think about and be grateful for all the great stuff you have in your life and of all the great memories of your favorite times. You can play back all your "favorites" and feel your energy rise.
- Get your body moving. That is why cycling or endurance sport is often called "cheap therapy", partially because you feel better when you get moving. A body in motion is taking action and making things happen. Move your body and move your mind. It sets the stage for improving your emotional energy...especially if you add in some great thoughts at the same time!
- Imagine that you already have what you want, and enjoy how good that feels...I know some of you really struggle with this, imagining what you really want vividly. It takes practice but if you haven't heard of the "law of attraction" yet then check out the hit movie and book The Secret http://www.thesecret.tv/. Get in the right vibrational energy for what you want and watch it come to you. Making simple statements to yourself to rewrite your "software" is a great first step. Decide what you want.
OK, now get out there and start thinking strong thoughts. The cool thing is that you can think whatever you want, you can visualize whatever you want. It is free, doesn't cost a thing. You can change your mind in an instant and start thinking whatever you choose to think. You decide the focus, and the more you take control and conciously choose what you are going to think and see the results, the easier it gets. Move your body! Walk, run, ride, try a new sport or anything to get your mojo working. Use some of the above ideas to spark your energy with powerful thinking. Mix it up if you are in a rut and use one of my favorite sayings:
"If something isn't working...try a new way of getting it done...mix it up...keep trying new ways until you get your goal." What is your goal for your energy each day?
Yours in awesome health and energy,
P.S. If you want to work on some of these things one-on-one and (and learn the best training methods for your goals) just set up an hour of Private Lesson with me by e-mailing Heather: Heather@CycleU.com